Geospatial Calculator (swath and pixel density)
Note: A more advanced calculator and flight planning feature is located here:
–> http://www.skyimd.com/online-flight-planner-for-aerial-imaging-mapping-survey/ <–
Enter the values for your aerial imaging project, then press the Calculate button to obtain values that will inform your flight plans.
Popular Canon & Nikon sensor resolution and dimensions Canon & Nikon sensor chart
Or refer to your camera’s technical specifications to find the sensor resolution (pixels) and dimension (mm).
- Capture the desired resolution needed
- Make sure that you have enough overlap in your photos
- Know your maximum ground speed so that you do not reduce the overlap percentage by flying too fast
- Keep your aircraft straight and level
- Have a Plan B – Check the weather for prevailing winds and map out two different headings. Once you’re on station, you can figure out which plan to use depending on the wind direction.